Sunday, November 1, 2009

I Wonder

...why any adult woman would dress up as Marilyn Monroe (one of the world's great iconic beauties) in the white dress from The Seven Year Itch (one of the world's great iconic snapshots)?

Are they being ironic?

I don't think soooooooooooo.

I wish I could feel that way about myself. Crikey, as a five-year-old I wept and wept until my mother and sister changed my princess costume into a witch because I didn't think anyone would believe that I, little Tizzy, could be a princess. How the hell does a FIVE-YEAR-OLD have that little self-esteem.

Am I being ironic?

I don't think soooooooooo.

And now, I don't dress up for Halloween because...well...I play dress up for a living. It wouldn't be a holiday for me if I had to look like anything other than an unemployed actress.

And now, I don't dress up for Halloween because...well...it's a slut contest. My facebook status update yesterday included "and wonders why 99.9% of women dress up slutty today. she gets so excited when she sees a nun costume. a non-slutty nun costume."

Slutty is not a costume.

Honest to Jesus, last night I saw some costumes and exposed body parts that were crimes against humanity. What's going on? Ladies, what is missing from your lives that you have to wear slutty costumes once a year? Is your inner slut not coming out on a daily basis? I say let it roar.

Am I being ironic?

I don't think sooooooooooo.

Brilliant costumes from the past...all hand-made (the Nana helped and/or taught me well)--

Donald Duck
Robin Hood
and
Tiz as Jiz

Yes, I was a little sperm...a la Woody Allen's Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask.

All of them classic and not a slut in the bunch.

Nor any delusions of grandeur.

Now, if those Marilyn Monroe "wanna bees" had high-powered fans on their shoes blowing that skirt up? That would be a costume I could get behind. Or how about a Marilyn Monroe "wanna bee" in a nun's habit with high-powered fans on her shoes blowing her skirt up?

Am I being Ironic?

Maybe...and maybe I just have to dress up after all.

2 comments:

  1. You're the one who came up with the Maenad theme and kindly let my most un-Maenadly self tag along. I can'tstop laughing about the nun with the foot fans. See, this is why you need to dress up. Or at least start a business dressing other people up. So they do something a little less slutty and a little more original, you cheeky minx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. greek mythology...and we were just modern versions thereof. with a theme song, if you remember. i don't recall our being slutty at all. and you were perfectly cast as a strong, vital woman who tears men limb from limb and then eats them.

    poor bart giammatti had no idea WHAT was going on...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Directory Web Directory Blogging Fusion Blog Directory