Sunday, November 8, 2009

Out of the Mouths of Babes

So...I was taking an early morning train back to the city from the Nana's. I didn't think it through. The WORLD was on the train--Yankee World that is--all coming in to watch the parade pass by.

I know it's the national pastime but I've never been one to follow anything all that closely unless I do it as well, and/or it effects me or my loved ones in a personal manner. So...needless to say, since I barely play baseball (although I have quite a good arm...can even throw a curve ball) and I'm not dating a major league player (although Nomar Garciaparra was a momentary neighbor), I didn't follow the World Series.

Oops.

And therefore didn't know the train to New York would be wicked crowded.

Oops Fuck.

At one point, there were four people sitting in my three-seater. I was in the window seat. I was there first. Four people in the three-seater definitely not my fault or idea. And the two in the middle were kids. I was not happy. Can you tell by the length. of. these. sentences. I. was. not. happy?

So...I napped. Until I heard these little voices saying, "Say Hi to yourself in the window." "Hi, Joe." "Hi, Mikey."

Still...I napped. Until I felt this tiny besneakered foot kick, kick, kicking my thigh. I wedged open my right eye to see this baby-face in mine.

"Say Hi to yourself, Lady."

Instead of beating him about the head and shoulders with a stick, I looked at my reflection in the darkened window. I hadn't seen myself in quite a while. I looked tired but good. Different but good. And I said,

"Hello, Lady."

Hello World.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory Web Directory Blogging Fusion Blog Directory